Beta v1.7.18 - Memory Leak & MyMovies Playback Conflict

Beta v1.7.18 - Memory Leak & MyMovies Playback Conflict

benicehavefun
I downloaded v1.7.3 of Recorded TV HD about a week ago and had planned to make it my main interface for recorded television.  Unfortunately, beginning the day I installed it, a number of issues developed:

-The first is that I was unable to change the sort order of recorded TV shows.  When moving from "title" to any of the other options listed across top, I would get a blue spinning circle in the center of the screen and the sort order would never change.  After some research, I was able to solve this problem by making a change to my password manager (RoboForm) and blacklisting ehshell.exe.  I've been using Roboform since 2007 and this is the first time I've ever had to blacklist a program.  Problem solved though.

-Each of the first two days after installation, I found that Media Center had crashed overnight due to low memory.  My HTPC has 4GB of RAM and has been used continuously with WMC7 for several years with no previous issues of this type.  I noticed you addressed a memory leak in betas released since v1.7.3, so installed beta v1.7.18 with high hopes.  My first "Low Memory" dialog box appeared within about 12 hours however.

-The final issue involves a conflict with MyMovies TV Series playback.  I have a number of TV series seasons ripped to Video_TS folder structures.  Episodes are mapped using MyMovies to allow direct playback of episodes without using the original DVD's menu system.  It's convenient and keeps track of watched episodes.  The problem is, when I'm in the middle of watching one of these ripped episodes and a live television show ends that I've been recording, I get dumped out of playback.  This did not happen before Recorded TV HD was installed.  MyMovies is using the Media Center default player.

My HTPC:

Acer Aspire X3 w/Intel E5800 dual core, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Gigabit Ethernet
Windows 7 64-bit (with all current updates)
Sapphire Radeon HD 5450 - 1GB DDR2 HDMI Graphics Card
Hauppauge 1213 WinTV-HVR-2250 PCI-E x1 Dual TV Tuner Card
Silicondust HDHomeRun Dual Network Tuner

My Windows Home Server:

Acer Aspire AH340 w/Intel Atom 1.6 GHz, 2GB RAM, 4TB HDD, Gigabit Ethernet
Windows Home Server v1 (with all current updates)

The MyMovies rips are stored on the server and recorded TV is all stored locally on the HTPC.  This setup has been solid and largely problem-free.  I've uninstalled Recorded TV HD on the HTPC due to the above issues -- however, I'm happy to reinstall it if you have any suggested fixes or additionally testing you'd like me to do.  I am continuing to use the add-in on my laptops, which are setup to access my recorded TV content via the streaming feature of Windows 7 Homegroups.  I've done very limited testing on the laptops thus far.

I'm impressed with the look and functionality of RTVHD and would love to re-implement it as part of my Home Theater solution!

Re: Beta v1.7.18 - Memory Leak & MyMovies Playback Conflict

Thanks for giving it a try... Let me quickly address some of your concerns...

1. I have no idea what RoboForm is doing, but I've seen other Media Center addons have the same problem and need to blacklist ehshell.exe

2. There seemed to be a memory leak in the older version of Recorded TV HD but only for some users. I then fixed the memory leak, but then made another change because my "fix" was causing other problems. It seems that the memory leak may have been reintroduced in 1.7.18. Last night I was working on this and hopefully I've fixed it, but I'm going to do some more testing.

3. There is a bug in what happens when a DVD finishes or when a user hits stop after playing a DVD structure from a 3rd party addon. It will just sit at the blue MC background screen and the user has to hit back. I've implemented a workaround that brings the Recorded TV HD interface back into view after the structure hits stop, but only if Recorded TV HD is running and the last thing it played was a DVD structure. I'm assuming that is the case with you in that situation, but I could be wrong. Please let me know if you think that was or was not the case.

Re: Beta v1.7.18 - Memory Leak & MyMovies Playback Conflict

benicehavefun
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Just wanted to let you know that I went ahead and purchased a Whole Household License today, since I want to contribute to your efforts regardless.  I'm a big fan of Windows Media Center and those that develop products for it.

Also:

-The MyMovies playback issue I described previously has remained even though I uninstalled Recorded TV HD, so it looks as though that issue crept in via an update to some other software.  I no longer believe it has anything to do with RTVHD.

-Would it make sense for me to try a previous beta release -- after you fixed the memory leak and before the current beta?  If so, which would you recommend?

Re: Beta v1.7.18 - Memory Leak & MyMovies Playback Conflict

I, personally, wouldn't try out the a beta between.... they have a very nasty (mostly non-reproducible) bug where it will rarely but annoyingly completely crash all of Media Center and corrupt any ongoing recordings in progress. I don't know ho it is possible for a 3rd party addon to do that :) ... but it does. I believe I've got it worked out though.

If you don't mind waiting a day or two I should have another release for you to try.

Re: Beta v1.7.18 - Memory Leak & MyMovies Playback Conflict

benicehavefun
Just a thought, but is the memory leak you're battling the result of monitoring for scheduled shows?  If so, I for one can live without the scheduled shows option while you're working out the issues.  Perhaps you could add a tick box option to use the standard WMC scheduled shows interface instead of the RTVHD version?  At the moment I just don't feel like I can install RTVHD again since bad things have been happening when my HTPC runs out of RAM.  Windows has been able to recover (with the help of CHKDSK), but I'm not anxious to keep testing fate.

I'd love to get up and running again with Recorded TV HD!

Re: Beta v1.7.18 - Memory Leak & MyMovies Playback Conflict

The alpha I released last night should fix the problem. I've separated out the checking of scheduled shows into a separate exe and it closes after each check.

http://www.recordedtvhd.com/download/alpha/RecordedTVHDSetup.msi

Re: Beta v1.7.18 - Memory Leak & MyMovies Playback Conflict

benicehavefun
Alpha v1.7.19 is working well so far.  I installed it on a laptop first for a quick shakedown, and then on to my HTPC.  It's been live for a day or so with no low memory messages -- which I was never able to achieve with Release v1.7.3 or Beta v1.7.18.

I've only seen one minor bug so far:  When accessing a particular series via the "Series Override" tab in the settings application (to manually add missing artwork), a program exception is thrown.  I clicked "Continue" and was able to add the desired poster art without further issue.

Thanks for the continuing development of RTVHD!