Anything going on here?

mogulman
Hey,

Haven't checked in, in a while.  Still using RTHD.   Once in a while it crashes, but otherwise going strong.   Hoping to keep my WMC PC going for a few more years.  Are you still using RTHD MJT?  Doesn't look like there has been anything new here for a few years.

Re: Anything going on here?

I'm still using Recorded TV HD
Guess I just haven't had the incentive to keep updating it. I've felt it is at the point where all the features I want it to have are there and I've spent enough time on it that I'll probably never be fully compensated for all of those hours :)

With the announcement that Media Center will not be included in Windows 10, and Windows 10 being a free upgrade, I think my market is going to disappear fairly quickly once Windows 10 comes out. There won't be anything better than Media Center for a while I'm sure, but most of the target audience for Recorded TV HD will probably already own a license by then.

Re: Anything going on here?

mogulman
Yeah true.  I've been contemplating what I would do after my current HTPC dies myself.  Build another one, or maybe just resort to Tivo, Channel Master Box, or maybe Kodi, Ceton, or SiliconDust will have something interesting.

Right now the HTPC works well for us.   Not sure if I can live without some kind of comskip functionality and a good gui.

Re: Anything going on here?

scifiguy
Well, think of it this way - there NO other software product on the market that will integrate with cable cards and allow you to record content from premium channels (like HBO, Showtime, etc).

Windows 10 may be 'new', but I don't really see much interesting there.  It looks like they added 7 and 8 to get 10.   I suspect a lot of people may feel the same way and will not switch unless there's some killer new feature.

So, that means a lot of people will stick with Windows 7 (or 8?) for driving their media center.

As far as I know, you've got the only product that improves on the WMC interface.   I wouldn't chuck that just yet.   And now would be the ideal time to add features - as it may drive more to see the value in sticking with WMC - and of course, your product.

Re: Anything going on here?

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
Well said, scifiguy.

While I do plan to upgrade my non-DVR PCs to Windows 10, I have no desire to upgrade my DVR from Windows 7 until I see an improved DVR cable-card premium-channel solution.

I have a growing list of bugs and enhancements for RTVHD.  Unfortunately, due to MJT's belief that the software suits his needs and his userbase is getting ready to shrink, I've taken it upon myself to address some of these bugs and enhancements with non-coding solutions (since the source code is not available).

In my opinion, even when Windows 7/8 go end-of-life and WMC disappears from new Windows OSes/services (as is the case with Windows 10), I will still have a need to serve up my ripped discs in a quality GUI.  If I don't come across a solution that I like that serves this need, I may keep the PC alive and just limit its internet exposure to just queries to the artwork/info websites.

MoRBiD

Re: Anything going on here?

Concept211
Hi guys,

I've been using WMC and other HTPC GUIs for years, but I'm brand new to RTVHD. I ran across it years ago and didn't bother with it because I thought it was a whole separate (and slow loading) interface like XBMC/Kodi and MediaBrowser/Emby (which I use and love). So I finally installed it and LOVE it (kicking myself for not getting it years ago).

But anyway, I just wanted to say that there is definitely a need for this product and will continue to be valuable to our community even after Microsoft's abandonment of WMC. The only real alternative I can think of will be the Emby Theater stand-alone software, but it's still a work in progress and doesn't have true Live TV/Guide capabilities. Until then, WMC is still the most user-friendly solution we have and we'll continue using it in our house for sure.

As for MJT's lack of interest in continuing development, I'm sure the community would be willing to take the project over if you'd be willing to share the solution/code with us when/if you decide to no longer support it. I only wish Microsoft would do the same with the WMC source...one can dream, right?

Re: Anything going on here?

IT Troll
It is a shame to hear development is dead, especially as customers were promised updates as long as Microsoft allows it. I've actually never received an update since I purchased the software. I guess I missed the "very frequent updates".

I can actually understand the reluctance to add significant new features; given that the market for the add-in is vanishing. But bugs have also gone unfixed. I think it would be a great idea to release the source code to the community. It would be a real shame to see RTVHD just fade away.