Add Recording Option?

jdjuggler
In WMC7, you can manually add a recording based on a keyword, actor, title, etc.  This option is located in the "recorded tv" menu option.
However, I have selected the option to hide the default "recorded tv" and I'd like to keep it hidden (family friendly that way).
Is there a way I can still "add recordings" as before without re-enabling the "recorded tv" menu item?

Thanks,
JD

Re: Add Recording Option?

As of right now there is no way for me to redirect a user to that location. I would have to program it manually. I haven't looked yet to see how much work that would be. Thanks.

Re: Add Recording Option?

golaat
I second this feature request. I actually bought Recorded TV HD but stopped using it since it does not allow me to do this and I could not fully replace the existing Recorded TV menu strip item.

Re: Add Recording Option?

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
MJT,

I often see Create Custom Recording come up as a feature request.  Like others, I also have WMC's TV menu bar hidden.  In case the question arises, I am using Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 and RTVHD 1.8.3 Beta.

Anyway, last night, I took a crack at addressing this request... and I now have a solution that is working for me that you may be able to implement into RTVHD.

First, I installed AutoHotkey 1.1.11.01 so I could overlay a global hotkey for this functionality.

Then, I created this simple AHK script that uses approximately 2MB RAM and virtually no CPU:
#NoEnv
#Warn
SendMode Input
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%
^1::Run %A_WinDir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /nostartupanimation /nochrome /directmedia:tv

(This is my first attempt at creating an AHK script... so AHK users, please cut me some slack.)

Then, I executed the AHK script which runs quietly in my systray.

Now, whenever the AHK script is running and I'm in RTVHD and I do CTRL+1, it opens WMC's Recorded TV screen in which I can create a custom recording.  When done, I just Backspace back into RTVHD where I left off.

Also, just for ease of convenience for me, I moved WMC into the first position on my Windows taskbar so I could use the Win+1 shortcut to initially launch WMC into RTVHD when desired, using this Target Path.  For this shortcut, I decided not to disable the startup animation:
%windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /nochrome /entrypoint:{7285f9d6-53b5-45a8-a445-ec6621df1d51}\{495cecbc-6648-4324-a299-85c182ab1ff0}

I realize that this Create Custom Recording solution is keyboard-centric, but I'm sure it could be worked into RTVHD using a remote-friendly command if desired.  Any chance you could incorporate this Create Custom Recording functionality into RTVHD for everyone else?
%windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /nostartupanimation /nochrome /directmedia:tv

MoRBiD

Re: Add Recording Option?

Thanks MoRBiD MaNGLeR! I don't know why I didn't think of that before!

I should be able to add this no problem... question for all of you though... I'm thinking of just replacing the current search option with this one, since search is an option though this menu. Thoughts?

Re: Add Recording Option?

golaat
I never really used the search feature.  It would be nice if there was a menu item at the top in the RecordedTV HD show listing screen which would allow you to 'add a recording' -- just like there is in the standard Recorded TV menu.  Take a look at the standard Recorded TV menu and you will see what I mean.

Re: Add Recording Option?

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
MJT,

My preference is to keep the existing Search option.  You may think that it is a clumsy workaround because it opens the guide and then opens the search.  But it's a single step for the user... verses three steps if the user has to open the WMC Recorded TV screen, and then do Add Recording, and then do Search.

MoRBiD

Re: Add Recording Option?

I've got it setup already to automatically launch recorded tv and then go up to the add recording option and go int that. The user then could select search or whatever they want. That is how I have it now and will be in the next beta release unless I get overwhelming support to have an option for search AND an option for add recording since it would be a lot more work to have both than just one.

Re: Add Recording Option?

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
At least it's now two steps instead of three steps.

How will the Add Recording screen be accessed (e.g. Settings, Menu Strip, etc.)?

MoRBiD

Re: Add Recording Option?

At this point it is either on the main strip outside of Recorded TV HD or in the settings. I may add a button on the main page, but haven't really thought much about that yet since different themes have different "whitespace" for adding things.

Re: Add Recording Option?

MoRBiD MaNGLeR
Adding it both in Settings and as a Menu Strip option would be ideal.

MoRBiD

Re: Add Recording Option?

IT Troll
Can I give my +1 to having an option for Add Recording on the RTVHD home screen. The strip on the main Media Center screen is useful and has allowed me to disable the standard TV strip.

But hiding Add Recording away in Settings just doesn't feel intuitive. It is best to keep people out of the Settings menu unless they really need to be in there.