1.8.0 inoperable

tjbhoward
I started using RTVHD this past Saturday starting with release 1.7.3. It worked OK from the beginning except for freezing up and becoming unresponsive 3 or 4 times a day. I upgraded to beta 1.7.19 hoping to get rid of the lock ups but it was about the same. After looking in the event viewer over and over I noticed the lock ups may coincide with recordings coming to an end. Today I began looking for another release to try when I came across a link to current alpha releases. I downloaded whatever alpha was on there but it didn't work at all. I guess around the same time release 1.8.0 was being released to public so I got that.
This release is terrible on my setup. I open WMC and navigate to RTVHD and click on the RTVHD icon, (recorded TV folder) and it hangs there for 5 or 10 minutes. The poster art finally downloaded after 5 or 6 hours but this still happens. Live TV works fine, but if I try to go into recorded TV, forget it. Every time it hangs for several minutes and when it finally loads, if I try to change the banner category, it hangs again.
I love this program and really want it to work. It was way better before.....I just wanted the lock ups to stop. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Oh BTW.... my set up.
WIN8 64 bit computer with AMD Phenom 2 x4 processor @2.60 GHZ and 8 GB of RAM.
Extender is xbox 360.
WMC on computer used to work flawlessly with 1.7.3 and 1.7.19 but now both machines hand up in recorded TV. Thanks in advance!

Re: 1.8.0 inoperable

I've seen some people have issues with Windows 8. It seems to work fine on my development machine so I'm not sure at this point what the problems are. Anybody else having issues?

Re: 1.8.0 inoperable

tjbhoward
Something occurred to me this morning. I remembered that when I downloaded the file for version 1.8, windows prompted a screen that said "windows smartscreen prevented an unrecognized app from being started. Running this app might put your PC at risk." I had to click on "more info" to choose install anyway. I hadn't seen that with any of the previous releases. So that got me thinking maybe the reason it won't run properly has to do with security permissions. I disabled windows firewall, enabled everything I could find to do with RTVHD in windows defender and restarted. When that didn't work I disabled windows defender but that didn't work either. Then I installed Mcafee and enabled RTVHD in that firewall. Still didn't work.
I did see 1 item in event viewer that I didn't see with the older releases. It was under service control manager and said "The Recorded TV HD service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly."
Do you think that matters? If so how could I fix it? And do the DCOM errors matter?
As I've said the other releases worked well for me with the exception of the periodic crash. I just figured if I could figure out why that was happening then I could maybe fix that and it would be perfect. If I can't get this working at all can you at least send me a link to roll back to 1.7.19?

Re: 1.8.0 inoperable

The smartscreen filter is just coming up because I haven't paid the money to get an authenticode certificate... but that shouldn't be causing any problems besides the little warning message you got.

If I'm understanding you correctly you are saying that the "Allow service to interact with desktop" is checked? That does not need to be and shouldn't be checked.

Here is a link for 1.7.19 ... let me know how it goes. Thanks.

(I actually just switched hosting providers for the website so if the link doesn't work, let me know)

Re: 1.8.0 inoperable

tjbhoward
Yes it was checked under services and I just unchecked it. But what I was talking about earlier was that I checked on allow in/outgoing connections on the firewall. I'm going to try one more thing before giving up on this build. I'm moving all of my recordings from my attached storage to public/recorded tv. Then I will change RTVHD to watch that folder so it can start fresh. If that works I'll reformat that disk and move them back. If not, I'll try rolling back. Thanks so much for the help, the quick response and the link. I'll let you know what happens.

Re: 1.8.0 inoperable

tjbhoward
So I can download this file but have no way to open it. Any suggestions? It shows up as a .man file

Re: 1.8.0 inoperable

Odd. I'll have to look into that. Try renaming it to .msi instead.

Re: 1.8.0 inoperable

tjbhoward
Yes that worked thank you! Now finally the program is snappy again. Now back to working on the problem with crashing.

Re: 1.8.0 inoperable

tjbhoward
I think I finally have this program stable on my setup. I don't know why it was so buggy for a while but here are the steps I ended up taking.
1. Did a fresh install for 1.7.19. (At least I thought) Kept getting a pop-up talking about the RTVHD menu strip being wrong and it said it would update next time the program was re-started. That pop-up would not stop coming up and made in unstable. I restarted everything several times and still the same thing. I un-installed the program and searched all directories with the option "show hidden folders" checked. I found and deleted a RTVHD folder in "program data" and then re-installed 1.7.19. The program then quickly re-built the database and became stable. (no freezes for at least half a day)
2. Tried to do a in-program update resulting in a unable to complete update/fetal error. Un-installed program again including deleting folder from program data folder. Installed 1.8 from website. Program quickly built database and has been fairly stable since the program settled in.
Only a few lockups this morning and the event viewer showed some .net fail to handle exception errors. Other than that I think it is in good shape. Any plans to continue adding features and tweaks or do you consider this to be pretty much a final product? (Just wondering wether or not to contribute to the feature suggestions)

Re: 1.8.0 inoperable

tradetek
Yep, 1.8 has caused each of my Windows 7 machines to go ape sh*t!

Because I have also experienced the occaisional "RTVHD is not responding, you will be dumped back to WMC" issues a couple of times a day so I went ahead and updated both of my Win 7 machines (one 32 bit the other 64 bit) and both have gone haywire. I'm using UVNC to access the machines using RemotePotato on my iPod Touch and the screen and cursor control quickly get erratic. Major pain in the butt from a major release.

I've loved this app and the other issues are just an annoyance which I hoped would be fixed in a "stable" release, but now I'll be trying to downgrade and then wait until more people try the new versions before updating.

Bill

Re: 1.8.0 inoperable

Not sure why this version would cause your machines to go haywire. I obviously would not have released this as stable if I didn't think it was. I've had a lot of people running pretty much this version on the beta track for quite some time without any major issues... and I've not had any problems on my machines.

If you would like to do any diagnosis and testing please let me know what you figure out.

Thanks.

Re: 1.8.0 inoperable

tjbhoward
Tradetek,
I had many problems and the program was even un-usable shortly after trying to upgrade the first time as well. I now am on 1.8 and it is even more stable than 1.7.19. Here's what I suggest.
1. Do an un-install from control panel.
2. Open the root of C: and go to folder properties...., or views..., (can't remember exactly in windows 7) and check to show hidden folders. Open ProgramData and delete RecordedTVHD. Also make sure there are no left over RTVHD folders in Program Files or Program Files (x86).
3. Install 1.8
It should re-build your database pretty quickly and it worked that way for me. The only time I have any problems with the application now is if I overload it or my computer is working on too many things when I use it on the extender. (xbox 360)
Let me know how that turns out for you please. This was what finally worked after days of banging my head against the wall.

Re: 1.8.0 inoperable

Beartlaoi
I also uninstalled 1.8.0 and went to my previous version.
First we noticed how the play, delete, restart buttons were rearranged, this was not cool, but we were willing to get used to it.
After some time we noticed that the system was getting sluggish, I looked at task manager and saw many instances RTVHD and some DCSNAP processes simultaneously reading files on the large harddisk where the shows are stored.  This disk is not an SSD so random I/O is not going to work well.
I decided this is too much to deal with and reverted to my stable version.

Re: 1.8.0 inoperable

tradetek
Okay, so I uninstalled and reinstalled on one machine using 1.8.0 and it definitely is working now, but it does not appear to be any more stable than 1.7.19.

Also, it is definitely slooooower than 1.7.19.

I installed 1.7.19 on the other machine and all is well except for the occasional dump back to WMC because it shows as unresponsive.

Note that the slower 1.8.0 is accessing all recorded content remotely which is being recorded and stored on the 1.7.19 machine. But that my assessment of it being slower is in the same configuration as previously run using 1.7.19.

Also, the 1.8.0 machine is a 32bit install of Windows 7.

Re: 1.8.0 inoperable

mddenapoli
I am having the same issue on Windows Media Center 7. Why hasn't it been fixed?

Re: 1.8.0 inoperable

The 1.8.0 issues should be fixed in the latest beta. Just haven't gotten around to releasing it to the stable release yet due to the day job and family life.